On the Street Where You Live

On the Street Where You Live
Bye snowy seagull... time to start thinking warm thoughts.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Disclaimer...

Just as any German could visit a good ole' American Walmart store and find this intellectual gem of a lady

are you sh*ting me?

(yes, those are her BOOBS in her PANTS) and think Wow, Americans ARE stupid and fat and only eat fast food/shop at walmart! So too, can I walk into a bar and find a 'Coconut' in Germany.

In fact, if a German were to come to America there is a statistically significant chance that he/she would run into such an American who would confirm their stereotypes, and there is a psychological principal that confirms that the German (or anyone) would probably only see that which is different than what he/she is used to seeing at home. Forget the other people he saw who were just like him... they are boring. The only ones worth remembering or commenting on are boobs-in-pants lady and the cool kids she hangs out with. Not necessarily the picture we Amuuricans want circulating abroad...

Therefore as a disclaimer I would like to say that although everything written in this blog is something I have genuinely experienced, and probably experienced more than once (usually how I deem it worthy of comment), it would be unfair and closed minded of me to say that ALL Germans are coconuts, or environmental freaks, or whatever else I have posted on.

The truth is, almost everyone I've met in Germany has been wonderful, open minded, friendly, and engaging. I have been overwhelmed by welcome and love, and while they do engage in a far different way, they do still engage in conversation.

I have certainly met my fair share of Coconuts, and no matter how open and friendly and welcoming the Germans I have met are, they are indeed MUCH more direct and honest than Americans on the whole. They are indeed FAR more environmentally conscious than we, and I'm still occasionally shocked at the immediate onslaught of political questioning when I meet someone... but no matter how noteworthy or common the experience is, I still must make it very clear that what I post applies ONLY to the experiences I've had, and like everything else in the world, I urge you all to experience these things first hand before making any judgments on the country of Germany.

And while I'm here covering my ass, I'll go ahead and cover Fulbright's too (again), and say that nothing written in this blog represents the opinion of Fulbright, the US department of State, or any other partner organizations.

I still haven't gotten around to that insurance blog, but if anything, I can tell you that the above-written sentence is wonderfully American. And I can say that with educated confidence. :)

Stay Classy America. That means you, too, boobs in pants lady. Rock on.

No comments:

Post a Comment