On the Street Where You Live

On the Street Where You Live
Bye snowy seagull... time to start thinking warm thoughts.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Fulbright

The last 12 days have been filled with friends (both old and new), learning, reflecting, discussing, eating, drinking, and generally filled with life.

Though there is SO MUCH that happened in the past 12 days worthy of comment, the bulk of this life-living centers around Fulbright seminar held in Berlin, where Fulbrighters from around the world gathered to discuss the status and future of transatlantic relations while enjoying endless food and drink provided by our lovely Homeland. (Thanks Uncle Sam). Therefore, I believe it's most logical to at least start with this...

Between panel discussions led by a variety of name-drop-worthy people and networking sessions with Fulbrighter's of the past present and future I found myself incredibly humbled by the power of the potential of this organization and the individuals that make Fulbright what it is.

I met, for example, a girl who is doing one of the first experiments of her kind in Nuclear Fusion, which would be a clean and safe way to "create" usable energy (quite the timely topic). Then I met someone doing research on the hormones of hunger and working on a way to make food taste better, while actually controlling appetite (sign me up for when that 'medicine' comes out!) and all the while I am surrounded by peers engaging in discussion about how we can change the world and create the future that we will be experience and influencing for the next 60 years. Whoa.


I left the conference with notebooks filled with comments, goals and to-do lists that include "How I can change the world" followed by bullet points and "DON'T FORGET YOUR PASSIONS WHEN YOU GET HOME!" and "Abstract goal #1: Be someone one people want to invite as a keynote speaker".

I left with a sense of urgency, pride, and ambition to do something influential and really make a difference in the world. As cheesy as that sounds, I believe that IS the power of Fulbright and it took me until now to realize just what being a Fulbright means.

If it took me this long to figure out what Fulbright means, I can imagine that most of the world is probably at a loss as to what Fulbright actually is, soooo the most logical next step of this blog is probably to explain...

In a definitive sense, Fulbright is an international scholarship program begun by Senator J. William Fulbright in 1946 to promote mutual understanding between Germany and the US after WWII through academic and bicultural exchange.

Since its inception it has expanded to include countries and programs worldwide and with a host of Nobel Peace Laureates, senators and other name-droppables in its alumni, its reputation has allowed for continued success in supporting young people as they gather experience to become influential global citizens.

Even with that clear cut definition, I still did not really GET what it meant to be a Fulbright until this conference, but Mayor of Berlin, Ingaborg Junge-Reyer, made it a bit clearer when she said:

                       "The ability to see the world as others see it, and thereby be able to address change and            progress in a way someone else may not is of exceptional value"

That statement, I think, sums up that what I do everyday as a teacher and a Fulbright, and what I will try and do everyday when I return to the states.

As a teacher from the US my job is to be a living and breathing example (ambassador) of the US and to spark discussions  that inspire my students to think in a different way. My perspectives as an American are very different than theirs as German students, and my job is to not only provide more American spin on the topic, but to listen and learn from their ideas. It's cliché to say that I learn more from my students than they learn from me... but its true! And that's my job!

I have no idea where I will be living or what I will be doing next year (if anyone has a job--I'm all ears!) but I can say with confidence that no matter where I go I will carry this experience with me. I will carry these perspectives with me, and like Mayor Junge-Reyer said, "the ability to see the world as others see it" is a lesson I can apply to ANYTHING and everything I do.

I am now, and forevermore, a global citizen and I promise that this sense of mutual understanding and awareness of a bigger world will be part of every decision I make. I want so sincerely to live a life of consequence and I am deeply grateful to Fulbright for his vision to make that desire to make a difference real.

I can't really think of an inspirational ending to this blog without sounding cheesy and/or compromising my sincerity, so I think I will leave it here...and that's all folks. I'm off to Handball practice!

Peace and love,
mere















No comments:

Post a Comment