On the Street Where You Live

On the Street Where You Live
Bye snowy seagull... time to start thinking warm thoughts.

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Kidding...

Ok, so I decided that schlepping my computer along to this long and boring orientation in Cologne would be more of a hassle than a help... so I'm going to have to save the big adventure stories for a little bit later.

For now, I give you just a taste of what my life is like and what is to come...

The picture to the right is on the beach on the way from the middle of Flensburg out to where I have been camping out for the last few days (my advisor's house in Glücksburg... not real camping mind you)

I took it today while taking a bike-riding adventure through the city to get my train ticket. I had a small window of time to do this because Germany as a country shuts down on Sunday, even though they are an unimaginably secular country, so I sped my bike from Glücksburg to Flensburg in about an hour. After the thrill of actually getting someplace all on my own without getting lost wore off, I realized that I was tired and the day was beutiful so I took a meandering tour back home to Glücksburg.

Well wouldn't you know it, I got lost. I wouldn't have known I was lost at all unless the signs around me stopped looking like typical german signs (with the ß's and ü's) and started looking like ø and well, yeah, that's actually the only interesting danish letter I know, and I looked around me and saw only danish flags.  Huh.

Yes, I had meandered my way to Denmark. Can we just take a moment to pause at the absurdity this? On a casual sunday stroll I casually sauntered to Denmark.... casual is definitely the best word for this situation.  I'm still not used to my new life and expect to wake up from this dream soon.

Speaking of dreaming, I have to get up in a mere 4 hours to catch a train to Cologne so I should probably go.

For now though, I will also explain the title of my blog because I feel that has been conspicuously absent from the discussion and is actually a driving force behind all my thoughts.

Here are the lyrics to my favorite song by Sister Hazel and if you press play at the bottom of this blog you can hear it as well (thanks to Lauren Friedman for the multi-dimensional experience suggestion...so smart she is)

Wait, wait... I jest. Adding music seems to be more complicated than I thought, so if you're interested you can follow this link to hear it on youtube. Lame, I know. Sorry. I'll figure it out when I'm not desperate for sleep. The lyrics are the cool part anyway.

Sometimes I wake with a weary head and
I wonder how I'll ever get through
Then I think of the things you said
how you told me to my self be true
My faith in things unseen,
My belief that it'll all work out
May seem like a strange cup of tea,
but if its all right with you than it all
Right with me

Oh my feet I walk, with my legs I run
In my arms I'll hold another day
With my head I think, from my heart I sing
And with my hand to my face I pray

There's times I feel with the strains of life
I could just turn around, turn around walk away
Then a strength like a beam from above
lifts me up by the hand and it leads me to say
Good things for good people you see
good things they seem to all work out
May seem like a strange cup of tea but
if its all right with you well then its all right with me

Oh my feet I walk, with my legs I run
In my arms I'll hold another day
With my head I think, from my heart I sing
And with my hand to my face I pray

Getting by ain't enough for me
I know what I like I like what I see
I'm not only flesh and blood but
I'm heart and soul I know

Sometimes I feel at the end of the day
was it worth while or have I settled for less
I sit back and your there by my side sincerely you say,
we're both so blessed
Count your blessing count them one, two, three
don't give up cause it'll all work out
It may seem like a strange cup of tea but
if it's all right with you, it's just fine with me

Oh my feet I walk, with my legs I run
In my arms I'll hoild another day
With my head I think, from my heart I sing
And with my hand to my face I pray 



So there you go. Count your blessings, count them 1,2,3 and I'll check in when I get back from Cologne. 


Mere

2 comments:

  1. They have these things called GPS. The "G" stands for "Global" I think. And global includes Germany (and Denmark). Have fun. Next time try a unusual mug of beer.
    Uncle Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow what an adventure. once again, you amaze me with your outlook. You NEVER bore me. I love it all.

    Did you hear - Stenn is a Diplomat!!!!

    Love you, tons.
    Aunt Suie

    ReplyDelete